Saturday, June 2, 2012

Saturday Artisan: Whimsy Onesie

Meet Rachel, our Saturday Artisan. Take a peek at her fabulous shop, Whimsy Onesie and I'm sure you will smile, giggle or laugh after seeing her fun collection.

Let's get to know her a bit more, shall we?

Tell us a bit about yourself and what arts/ crafts that you make?
I am a Christian, wife, best friend, mom, daughter, and self-proclaimed craft-a-holic.  I am always working on this or that - from sewing (seen here on my sweet Ella - razMamma designs Etsy shop) pillowcase dresses, to making prayer/memory jars, creating monograms on my baby's old blankies, to painting, and amateur photography.  I am happily married (5 years this year!) to my best friend, Ben.  We have 2 incredibly funny, whimsical, unpredictable, wonderful children- Benjamin the fifth (yes, the FIFTH, can you believe it!?) is 8 months old and just about the cuddliest little baby boy.  Ella is our spontaneous, imaginative, unpredictable 2 (going on 12) year old.  I've been a stay home mom since Ella was 8 months old, and before I was home I taught music/chorus/beginning guitar/handbell ensemble at the middle school/junior high level.  I am currently working on a host of designs for our Whimsy Onesie shop and on a custom made baptism dress for my best friend (made out of the wedding dresses from her wedding and her mother, and mother-in-law!).  Life is good!






What is the story behind your shop name? 
Ahhhh, good question! It all began when I read "Love Does" by Bob Goff (a MUST READ, I cannot stress this enough, it is amazing!).  He lives a life chock-full of whimsy, fun, and admirable stories.  As I was reading I realized that he lives an AMAZING story.  I want to live a story like that too - I don't want to get to the end of my life and have a lot of "what if I had..." memories.  I would rather try something and fail, than just not try at all.  Soo, Whimsy Onesie was born as part of my story of whimsy, and life, and creativity, and spontaneity.


Who is your target market?
Pregnant moms, new moms, new dads, new grandparents, families with newborns - young kids, those shopping for a baby shower/birthday/Christmas/holiday gift, basically anyone who knows someone who has or is about to have a baby!


Which part of creation process that you like to do the most?
DESIGN! There is nothing better than realizing a joke or some funny saying would make for a great onesie design.  I love putting my kids in shirts that make people smile!


For us who love to travel, could you share a bit about your beautiful town/ city? 
We live in the beautiful state of (drum roll please....) Florida!  We live on a small-ish island, called Merritt Island - population a little over 34,000. Just up the road is Kennedy Space Center, Cocoa Beach's famous Ron John Surf Shop, and some breathtaking beaches.


Could you share on how your organize your products, we all can use a little tips here and there in this department?
I have everything pre-organized by design on my computer, so as soon as I receive an order, I just print the design and get it on the onesie - simple as that.  I've decided that the simpler my process is, the easier it is for me to be consistent with it.


How does your day go in general?
Wake up to hear, "good morning, mommy!" from my smiling 2 year old (who happens to be standing on the side of my bed), grab the baby from the crib, make breakfast for everyone, hit the gym, picnic with PB&Js for lunch, home, work on designing/shop stuff while the babies (hopefully!) nap, get ready for Ben to come home, hugs and kisses as daddy arrives home, dinner, Jeopardy (yes, we know it makes us sound like old people), bubble baths, bed time story, tuck the kids in bed, RELAX with the hubby, and bed. Sleep and repeat!
 

How do you balance your personal and work life?
Hmm, I don't think I have perfected this or that I will ever feel as though I have arrived.  I think my husband, Ben, would need to answer this.


What inspires you?
God, my family, our friends.  Seriously, I have a hilarious family.  I NEVER know what is going to be said or done.  Who knows what caper we will be involved with. That being said, many of the shirt designs are based on funny things that have actually happened.  Honest to God, the other day I asked Ella what she ate that day and her exact words were, "Daddy lets me have pizza for breakfast." And a new shirt was born!  Perfect really, since Benjamin has some really sweet clothes now.



What is your goal for 2012? And are you on the right track?
 This has nothing to do with my shop, but with my family.  Since Ben and I are celebrating 5 years of marriage this year, we decided that we would do it BIG and in style.  So, we are celebrating ALL YEAR. :)  On Valentine's Day (anniversary of our engagement) we took a ride in a bi-plane over the beaches and Kennedy Space Center.  In June, we are going to Ireland.  In July we are going on a cruise to the Bahamas (for our actual anniversary). Then, we have another couple of smaller trips planned. PLUS, I am excited about my (SURPRISE!) 30th birthday party that I know Ben is already planning for me. (HAHA!)   And we are right on track.  Not getting lost in your work is important, so this year is a great way for us to focus on us and our family.


What is your favourite tool that you cannot live without?
Microsoft Publisher.  I have no idea why, but I LOVE it.
 

What is your motto?
Love God, love people; serve both.  I honestly center my whole life around this one phrase.


Any advice for others running their on-line shop?
Check copyright and trademark laws.  The last thing you want is to get a message from Etsy (or worse off a lawsuit from a major company) for copyright, trademark infringement!  There are a few websites you can check to make sure you are good with those things.  Above all - HAVE FUN!  People buy handmade because they know the items are made lovingly, by hand, by a real person - not a machine!
 

Saving money is important; tell us one thing that you do to save money?
No cable!  We have an antenna that picks up almost every major network on tv.  It is amazing how much we save ($80+ a month!).  Plus, the new tvs have converters, so we still watch in HD. Yay for saving!


Stay-tuned for tomorrow's giveaway!

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome story. What an amazing woman. Love life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your story, now I have to pick up a copy of "Love Does" by Bob Goff.

    ReplyDelete