Saturday, May 31, 2014

Saturday Artisan: Faded Leaves Naturals


Meet Shannon, our Saturday Artisan! She is the artist and owner of Faded Leaves Naturals.

I simply love Shannon's shop! It fills with products that you need on a day to day basis. And the plus is, they are all naturals! It's one of the shops I have on my list to go to.

Let's get to know her more, shall we? 


Tell us a bit about yourself and what arts/ crafts that you make?

I am a cloth diapering, breastfeeding, babywearing, earth mama. The birth of my daughter awakened a person inside of me that I was always meant to be. I became more natural minded and interested in holistic health. I started creating salves and balms for use on my daughter and family and soon had family and friends asking why I wasn't selling them. My products expanded as my knowledge of natural living expanded. I am now pursuing my certified herbalist degree as well as practicing as a postpartum doula in my community. I am passionate about a more natural way of living and love spreading my knowledge and love to others. Peace, love, and happiness.


What is the story behind your shop name?  

I wanted something that sounded earthy but wasnt so far fetched that it would ostracize anyone. After months of searching, Faded Leaves Naturals just came to and stuck.  


Who is your target market?

My target market is natural minded women, men, and families, or people interested in pursuing or starting a more natural lifestyle for their families. The first mentioned group are sometimes known as the "crunchy" families or the hippies. ;)  


Which part of creation process that you enjoy the most?

The education that goes into each item I make, esp the salves and balms. Learning the function of each herb and plant that I use and how to combine them to make a product that helps with many issues. Watching all that hard work come together and form a great product that helps people is just the best.

Could you share on how your organize your products, we all can use a little tips here and there in this department?

My products are organized by their main function: salves/balms, sugar scrubs, lip balms, sprays, etc. Once in their respective category I typically organize them by color or function. sometime alphabetically if i am feeling in the mood. ;)

Once made, any extras that were made but not needed for the order, go into a tub I have and are stored in my pantry as my items need set temperatures and dark environments. 


What is your best seller?

My nursing necklaces, my calendula salve, and hand sanitizer.

How does your day go in general?

M, W, F- i spend 2 hours in the mornings marketing/listing/creating/accounting for the business. The afternoons are reserved for my daughter. After she goes to bed at night, I typically list some more, work on blog articles, more marketing, or creating items for orders. I try to ship all orders in the morning, but if that doesnt happen I package them that night and ship the next day.

T, Thu- I work outside of the home at my other, unfortunately necessary, day job until my soul business takes off.



How do you balance your personal and work life?

I hired a mothers helper to come in on M, W, F to watch my daughter for those 2 hours so I can devote those hours exclusively to my business. But once those 2 hours are done and the helper is gone, I put work aside and focus on my daughter. Some days I get very little done after the helper has left and other days more, but I dont regret the time spent with her and not on my business. One day she will be gone, but this business will still be here. I do enough to keep my name out there and the orders coming in and realize that the success I want will come in time, not necessarily my timing.  


What inspires you?

Nature, my daughter.


What is your goal for 2014?  And are you on the right track?

My goal is to get my name out there and to turn a profit. So far I am on the right track. I keep a notebook with all my goals in it and read over it often to make sure i am staying on track.

What is the key to success?

Determination.


Any advice for others running their on-line shop?

Never give up on your worst day. Tomorrow is a new day and a new start. And tomorrow might just be the day you hit it big, but you would never know if you gave up too soon. 


What does handmade mean to you?


Handmade is a way of life. I make all of our own condiments, food, snacks, detergents, napkins, etc. Handmade means being creative and using that creativity to bring happiness to others. Handmade is something, that once started, is impossible to stop. And once you start shopping handmade, you will never go back.



What is your favorite quote, song, or movie?

Never let success go to your head or failure go to your heart.


Faded Leaves Naturals can be found on Facebook and Twitter.

Would you like to be featured as a Saturday Artisan and sponsor a giveaway?

Here is how to apply.


8 comments:

  1. This is a great feature. Thank you Shannon for promoting good health and natural products. I wish more people would get into this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely feature ~ it was a pleasure getting to know Shannon and visiting her Fading Leaves shop. Seems we might be kindred spirits. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose,
      I have always loved your shop. I think we probably are kindred Spirits. :)

      Delete
  3. love natural products for their peculiarity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this interview with Shannon of Faded Leaves Naturals. I like how she is growing and learning and passing those things along in her natural body care items.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the nice comments everyone. I love doing this work and being able to pass my knowledge, however limited, on to others in their journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always prefer natural products over commercially produced products that often contain a heap of strange chemicals.
    I will have to check out your shop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sugar scrub looks good enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete