Saturday, January 17, 2015

Saturday Artisan: Birthday Blocks

Meet Megan, our Saturday Artisan

I adore her shop, Birthday Blocks. There are a lot of cuteness going around and if you are looking for a baby shower gift, her shop maybe one of the places you want to stop by.

Without further adue, let's get to know Megan.

Tell us a bit about yourself and what arts/ crafts you make?

I'm a full-time working wife and mother of two beautiful boys, ages 4 and 3 months. When I'm not working my at 40hr job or on Birthday Blocks, I also write a crafting blog, C'mon Get Crafty. I like to be busy!


I started my Birthday Blocks business after being inspired by so many post of friends showing their little ones' monthly growth photos. I love the custom orders I get, since I get to create new designs all the time! 


What is the story behind your shop name?  

Haha, I suppose it isn't that brilliant of a name; Birthday Blocks. I designed my block sets since I saw mostly stickers being used to capture baby monthly growth photos. The name just made sense! :)


Who is your target market?

My blocks are very popular with the baby shower crowds! :) I've gotten many referral orders from other soon to be mothers or their friends seeing Birthday Blocks given to another at a shower. 

Which part of creation process that you enjoy the most?

Designing! Trying to come up with that new element that will grab the customer's attention and make them fall in love with the piece. 


For us who love to travel, could you share a bit about your beautiful town/ city? 

I started my business while living in Las Vegas, and I must say I fell in love with the city during our five years there. However, I'm back in Illinois with my own true love, Chicago. If you've never been, you must visit! Try for May. Best weather is in May. :) 


Could you share on how your organize your products, we all can use a little tips here and there in this department?

I am fortunate to have a beautiful office/craft room with built in cabinets in our new home. I've had a lot of fun organizing my supplies, and plan to blog about it soon!


What is your best seller?

I would guess my Puppy Sports Birthday Blocks, which were designed to complement the Lambs & Ivy Bow Wow Nursery Collection. 




What sets you aparts from your competitors?

I don't know of anyone who does what I do; my creations are unique (as far as I am aware!)

What does handmade mean to you?

There are so many artisans out there, people who put so much time and effort into creating new products for others to enjoy. Mostly, handmade to me means to love; if you didn't love what you were doing, you probably wouldn't do it. It isn't easy to make money off of handmade items, so there's no motive there. You just have a love of creating, and you want to share it!



If you could invent a machine, what would it be?     

A teleportation device!


Please check and like her FB page: https://www.facebook.com/BirthdayBlocks


Would you like to be featured as a Saturday Artisan and sponsor a giveaway? Here is how to apply.


43 comments:

  1. What a fun item! And I completely agree with the handmade sentiment about doing it because we love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those blocks are great for kids. Thanks for such a nice promotion for the artisan.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are SO cute!! Does Megan do any custom orders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Melanie! I absolutely do custom orders! In fact, most of my designs started out as exactly that! :)

      Delete
  4. They are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! I wish I was crafty enough to have my own Etsy shop haha

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an original (and adorable) idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are amazing and I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these blocks, you do such an awesome job! I'm expecting our first little one this summer do these are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun idea! Love your bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen so many people who take photos of their child at each month. I even tried it with my first - wearing the same outfit in each photo. The only problem was that he was so tall, he outgrew the 12m outfit I was using at around 9 months. Blocks like these, however, would be really useful and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What cute blocks! I bet you could expand into the Christmas market with words and colors of that season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This year I did start "My First Christmas/Thanksgiving" and Christmas Countdown blocks, but I think I did it a little too late. :) Maybe 2015 they will be a bigger hit! :)

      Delete
  12. Adorable blocks! What is the longest name you have made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a request for a first and middle name once, which amounted to about sixteen letters! :)

      Delete
  13. Everythings is really pretty! I love ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are adorable! What a unique idea for a keepsake, or for a learning opportunity for little ones. Where do you ship and what are your shipping costs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I offer free shipping within the US, and I've shipped to Canada, Portugal, and Australia so far! :)

      Delete
  15. Your designs are PRECIOUS. Do you ever think about expanding them to invitations/cards/anything like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Actually, I have! It has been a slow process, but I've been adding nursery prints, invitations, and party decor packages to my site! :)

      Delete
  16. These are so stinking cute!! What made you start making them? - stephanie.oday@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. why teleportation device? any secret behind it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always busy, so anything that cuts down on time is A-OK in my book! :)

      Delete
  18. What great work you do! Id like to get name blocks for my daughter for her birthday this month...

    What would it cost to ship to Canada? The name is OLIVIA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candy, please feel free to email me at birthdayblocks at gmail dot com - I'd love to discuss with you!

      Delete
  19. Super cute product. What do you think about doing a last name/wedding themed set? I suppose it could double for a baby in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your designs! They are really nice. If you could only eat one food for the rest of the year, what would it be?

    ReplyDelete
  21. How do you make the blocks? Do you paint them by hand or print a design onto them somehow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Combination of ideas - paint, stencil, paper, vinyl - whatever best suits the design! :)

      Delete
  22. these are awesome .anything else you do besides this ? you have any other hobby's ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love crafting in general, and lately my crafts are all related to our new house! I love rehabbing used furniture. :)

      Delete
  23. I love the patters you come up with for the backgrounds. How do you find the right ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trial and error! I've designed blocks that turned out horrible because the patterns didn't work - it's a constant learning game.

      Delete