Saturday, August 27, 2011

Saturday Artisan: Kyandkin

Meet Heather of Kyandkin, our Saturday Artisan. Heather offers a variety of beautiful, stylish and comfy children's clothing. I love the soft colors of the clothes and how comfortable they seem. In addition, they're affordable. Let's get to know Heather a bit more, shall we? 

Tell us a bit about yourself and what arts/ crafts that you make? 
Kyandkin is a small business that creates handmade children’s clothes and necessities. I have always loved the soft colors of baby & children’s clothes and the free flowing comfortable feeling of clothes, and have put the two together to create kyandkin. 

I live with the idea of quality over quantity, and take time with each item as if my own children would wear them. The pieces are sewn completely with a machine and have zig zag stitching for secure seams in place of a serger for that extra durability and handmade touch. I wanted to make clothes for my girls and other children that were something a little different from the norm, something that they are comfortable in and something that they can run and play freely while still being able to look stylish. 

I always fall in love with particular styles that are way over priced and can never afford them, and due to the fact that children grow so fast, I always thought it would be a waste of money…so with that in mind, I started to make clothes that I would’ve loved to wear as a child and be good on the pockets as well. 

Most of my supplies are either from local shops in town, online fabric stores or, my favorite, other etsy shops, to help other etsy owners build their businesses as well. I love the diverse options, overwhelming creativity and friendly people that I have talked to through etsy, just over the last few months. It means so much to me to give back to others, and watch sales grow for shops trying to make it as well.


 
I had sewn for years, and had started with selling handbags to friends and family a few years ago…but I knew that there was something else that I was even more interested in but just couldn’t put my finger on it…until I had my second little girl. I had finally found something that I LOVE to put my time and effort into, something that I just can’t get enough of. The time I put into my shop is time that I love to put aside, something that’s freeing, a little “outlet” of mine where I can relax and take in my day piece by piece. I use every opportunity to get a little work done, whether it’s early in the morning before my girls wake up, during a nap or after they’re fast asleep. My business is a dream that I can’t stop thinking about, which is what I always wanted for myself.


Which part of creation process that you like to do the most? 
I love seeing the finished product come to life, there’s something so rewarding coming from something you made by hand. 



Could you share on how your organize your products, we all can use a little tips here and there in this department?
Currently I’m organized on shelves with each one designated to particular items (like ribbons and scrap in baskets), all my fabric is organized by type of fabric and then by color for me to find what I need quickly…but would give anything to have awesome rustic cubbies and a LARGE work area. 



What is your best seller? At the moment the bubble dress is the best seller…customers are buying for their weddings, for flower girl dresses.
How does your day go in general? I’m a very organized person, so I try to wake up check my shop and answer emails and update my facebook page. Then take care of my amazing girls and feed them breakfast, play for awhile and go outside if the weather is good! When it’s nap time I tend to creating and sewing orders and new items for my shop to keep it fresh, this all lasts for a couple of hours then it’s back to my kids for a while and cooking dinner and bath time, after they’re asleep its back to creating until late in the night to get my “to do” list completed. 


How do you balance your personal and work life?
It all comes together somehow, I’m lucky to have an amazing husband as well so helps with the balance. 


Do you have a favourite Etsy seller? There are so many etsy sellers out there that are awesome at what they’re creating. I couldn’t put my finger on one, just yet….so to narrow it down slightly I’m in love with my fellow crafters in the children’s world.


What inspires you? I started kyandkin with the inspiration from my 2 beautiful daughters, Kylie Rainn and Kinley River. I am a military wife of an amazing husband who serves as a Riverine in the Navy. My family is absolutely everything to me and they have inspired me to start something that would last forever, something small...growing into something big...


 
What is your goal for 2011? And are you on the right track?
My goal is to have 50 sales, I think it’s going good so far (knock on wood) I’m so thankful for the customers thus far who have believed in me and my items. 


How do you promote your shop?
I promote through my facebook, through my etsy teams and through blogs, all have worked wonders for the promotion of my shop! 


Any advice for others running their on-line shop?
Focus, focus, focus. Don’t give up, the sales will eventually come just keep doing what you love and promote those items as much as you can! 

See you tomorrow! A new giveaway that you don't want to miss.

3 comments:

  1. You're doing it! You are so inspiring. I love that you source your supplies from other etsy shops and locally, supporting the people who are creating and making their own livelihood. I really love your designs. I've favorited your shop.
    heather.mentzer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart the bubble dress! No wonder it's her best selling item, What about a lot of sleeves/neckline variations to the dress? and more patterns/colored fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your stuff! I wish I had the skills to do the same, but alas...my sewing skills are rather awful.

    I would love to see some matching little hats, hairbands or bows to go with the dresses.

    ReplyDelete