Saturday, August 21, 2010

Saturday Artisan: Leksi Designs

Meet this week Saturday Artisan, Brooke of Leksi Designs. She and I have something in common. We both love stamping. But I stamp on papers while she stamps on metals and papers....much more talented than I am, I'd say. 

In her own words...

My name is Brooke. I am the owner of Leksi Designs. I make custom hand-stamped jewelry and handmade flower accessories. My shop was named in a pretty simple way. My daughter, age 7, is named Aleksis. Some people call her "Leksi" for short, so there it is...Leksi Designs! In addition to one daughter, I have a husband, Tim, who is a Highway Patrolman and two small dogs, Jasper and Toby. I actually got into stamping metal jewelry when I was shopping for a piece for myself. Everything I looked at was so expensive! So, I just thought I would make it myself! People started asking me about the pieces I was wearing....and my ETSY SHOP WAS BORN!

 
I work full-time during the day for the local school district and take Master's Courses in the evenings as well. I also coach cheerleading part-time and keep a pretty set schedule at the gym. I enjoy running and hope to run a few marathons this summer.

How do I find time to do my jewelry? This is fairly simple...I don't sleep....lol. No joking aside, I really don't sleep much and jewelry is kind of my "wind-down" time in the late evenings. Hopefully, one day I will be able to spend more of my day doing this...but for now this is working out great! 

Advice for a new artist~ I would suggest taking the time to come up with something really unique and original before advertising. A new artist must have both quality and quantity to make it. Take great pictures and keep customers service number one!

I promote my etsy through my blog and word of mouth mainly. I get more sales through simple private email than anything else. 

If you love her artworks as much as I do, stay tuned for tomorrow's giveaway!

21 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lovely feature! I can't wait to see who wind the giveaway!!!

    www.leksidesigns.com
    www.leksidesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stamp too, but I wish I knew how to do it on metal! She is so talented and her work is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that cuff...Its exactly what i've been looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do beautiful work and sure live one busy life.
    I love the cuff bracelet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew how you started :)

    You should keep making necklaces, I love them!!!

    pinkdaddysgirl[at]msn[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Brooke is such a busy lady with crafting, studies and work all at the same time!!!

    I love the hammered cuff and would love to see more of those in various widths to suit different tastes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderfully beautiful pieces. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your work, I've seen it many times, since I'm a follower of your blog....I would love to see a stamped locket (can that be done????) I have a three year old granddaughter name Carley, I would love to put her picture in a locket but I would want something different, something stamped.

    Donna
    dwarrington1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all of your work! The only thing I would like to see would be an option of different chain lengths. I like really long necklaces, others may too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ha ha. sounds like you really don't sleep!
    The photos of items are nice and clear and the pieces are just SO cute.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love your work! My favorite is the "Life begins at 40" I'm getting really close & I hope it's true! :o)

    I would love to see a personalized stamped piece that I could use for a keychain. My husband is a police officer and would love something that reminds him to be safe and also have our names on it.

    Michelle

    cafeboulet@gmail.com
    http://www.cafeboulet.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your pieces are very lovely - extremely crafty and I think one can really see the amont of effort you put into them ^^
    Browsing your etsy store, I confess that I was very fond of the bird pieces (the necklace with the sparrows, and the flock of birds) because I like birds all too much... so I'd love to see more of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello everyone! I am just checking in. I am so excited that you all have checked out my store!!! All of your compliments are absolutely heart-warming.

    Thank you all for your suggestions of things to add as well. I am adding more and more designs monthly. Please remember, I can do custom orders, get any length of chain wanted, and any of my pendants can be turned into keychains!

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this is great becuase of the way you started it; you couldn't get a product the way and price you wanted, so you did it yourself. Isn't that how all great products are born? ;)
    I like everything in your shop, but more brass and/or copper would be cool, and maybe some more pieces with beads/jewels/marbles, that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your stuff is gorgeous! I love that your jewelry brings you peace (it's wind down time). That it's lovely for you to make reflects in the fact it's so beautiful to look at.

    Have you considered adding a gem stone or two in order to add a small splash of color?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brooke
    I love your work! I especially love your bracelets and have not seen them anywhere else. Very impressive! I find that creating offers me much peace/serenity also. Keep up the great work!
    Sheri Styx-Martinez
    angeli67@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. Left a comment for Brooke on interview page !
    Sheri Styx-Martinez
    angeli67@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, I do have genuine gemstone dangles that can be added to any of my pieces for $3.00 each!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I admire how you can accommodate all these activities in a day. I rarely get some sleep too, and reading is my way of unwinding. I wish I had more creative juices in me!

    ReplyDelete