Saturday, June 14, 2014

Saturday Artisan: HCM Creations



Meet Heather, our Saturday Artisan! Heather is the artist behind HCM Creations. I haven't gotten an opportunity to meet her personally but her answers to my interview questions has left me with an impression about how wonderful person she is. I can just tell that she is a super nice person and who would not want to get to know someone so nice, right? Plus, her creations are so beautiful! 

Get to know her more shall we? Those smiley face icons are all hers.


Tell us a bit about yourself and what arts/ crafts that you make?

I love to craft and create! I create hand painted (mostly custom) home decor that are a perfect addition for any room and unique gifts that your friends and family will love. I create painted wooden Letters, Signs, Glass frames, wine/pint glasses, and MORE! 


What is the story behind your shop name?  

I wanted my name to be something simple that could encompass many types of items and something that was easy to remember. HCM Creations was born from my initials and at first only covered painted signs, now it ranges from wood creations to glass and everything in between. If it can be painted, I can create it ;)



Who is your target market?

My target market is anyone who has a place to display wall or home decor as well as anyone in need of a custom or unique gift for any event :)  



Which part of creation process that you enjoy the most?

Painting, since it's almost 100% of my process, is what I enjoy most, making a photo or idea come to live for someone to hang in their home is an amazing feeling. I love seeing the finished product compared to the sketch :)



For us who love to travel, could you share a bit about your beautiful town/ city? 

I live in the Mountains of North Carolina and the weather is BEAUTIFUL! Sometimes it can be a little all over the place and some days you may find that it will be pouring one minute, then snowing the next, then sunny the next. You never know what you're going to get here :) If you want to experience every season to the fullest, then you need to live in the mountains of NC!

 



Could you share on how your organize your products, we all can use a little tips here and there in this department?

Unfortunately as much as I like to organize when I get going, I am a very messy person. I usually keep my paint in one area, brushes in another and products somewhere else so I know how much I have of everything, things have been a little chaotic lately. When I am on track I use small storage bins for everything, they keep things neatly stored without being all over the place.


What is your best seller?

My best seller are my custom name letters and name signs (both for children's rooms and Nursery's) I find that a lot of mom's LOVE custom stuff for baby and children's rooms and seem to sell these better than anything!


How does your day go in general?

Well, I work a 40+ hour day job on top of HCM Creations as well as a design business I started called Krafty Panda Designs so things stay busy in my life. When I am not at my full time job I spend my spare time working on any projects for HCM Creations and KPD when I am able.


How do you balance your personal and work life?

It gets stressful sometimes but then I remember how much I love everything I do and since HCM Creations started as a hobby, it really relaxes me and makes me happy to be making something special for someone.


What inspires you?

Everything! I can just be doing spreadsheets at work and an idea will just pop into my head! It's great :) I try to keep an eye on Pinterest and other businesses to get sparks of unique things I can try ( I NEVER copy anyone's work, I just use them as an idea to go off of and create something brand new!)
 

What is the key to success?

Patience and staying Positive:)


What does handmade mean to you?
Handmade to me means simply, anything you can make with your hands, glass can be molded with your hands and blown into wonderful creations, clothes can be sewn, knitted, crocheted and made all by hand, signs and home decor can be painted by hand or decorated with vinyl or modge-podge all of which can be done by hand. In my opinion, pretty much everything can be handmade and are usually in better condition than items that are made by machines.  


What is your favorite quote, song, or movie?

It would probably be impossible for me to choose just one, I love so many :D

14 comments:

  1. Nice to meet the artist behind HCM Creations. I especially like the family tree painting. Now I'll have to check out her shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done interview, and nice to read about the artisan behind those fantastic creations :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice interview with Heather of HCM Creations, a fun, positive, and creative person. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your work but I would have to change the Little boys are superheros to little girls are My daughter is a tomboy and loves Superheros instead of Princesses lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview. It's always nice to "meet" a new artist. The family tree painting is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You interviewed a very talented artisan, Nat. Nice to meet her.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the dinosaur-themed door hanger and the family tree painting. Thank you for introducing us to Heather, Nat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE your work! where do you, Heather, get your inspiration for your designs?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great insightful interview,. it is always interesting to hear about the artistic mind- set and their approach to life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great profile! I do enjoy learning about other artists.

    ReplyDelete