Saturday, January 15, 2011

Saturday Artisan: Glassimo


Meet Judit, the artist behind Glassimo, a shop full of beautiful and cheerful handmade fused glass jewelry and modern and elegantly simple home decor. I really love her works and maybe one day I can own one (or more) of them.

Tell us a bit about yourself and what arts/ crafts that you make?
Hi, my name is Judit.I've always liked to discover new fields of creativity. I just have to create – use my creative mind to channel new ideas into form. My latest love is glass fusing. I keep experimenting and learning new techniques in workshops, classes, from books, from the net, from artists - and mostly at my own in my studio. I'm taking jewelry classes in different media. I want to combine fused glass with other interesting materials -like silver, clay, stainless steel, concrete, wood etc...making real unique fusion jewelry pieces.

Which part of creation process that you like to do the most?
I enjoy the whole process starting with sketching ideas in my notebook or taking pictures of unusual objects or situations or interesting views of familiar things. And I spend a whole lot of time doing research on my computer.

What inspires you?
Anything can inspire me anytime! Art, architecture, nature, music… even a graffiti on the wall - beauty is everywhere. I am fortunate to be able to travel a lot - I'm fascinated by different cultures, the art and crafts of different countries and people, and the people with different dreams and aspirations.

What is your favourite item in your shop?
My favorite is always the latest one - but I'm working on my next idea right now!

Do you have a favourite Etsy seller?
I have many favorite shops in different styles. I like sleek, clean lines, very contempo shops - and I like funky, artsy, edgy shops as well.

Any advice for others running their on-line shop?
Don't try to follow others just because they seem successful. Find your own style - which is always changing, evolving - but stay true to yourself.

Don't let anyone or anything limit your imagination or take away your desire to experiment just to make a bigger profit. Of course, if you have to make a living from jewelry business then you need to make some compromises.

I just do what and how I like to do. I set my standards and I do not make shortcuts. I definitely pay attention to other fused-glass jewelry artists but I do not follow them. I have my own style. I do not compromise the quality over quantity. Every piece I create is one of a kind. If you buy my necklace you can be assured that there is no other one like that. I try to preserve my originality and I never stop to come up with fresh ideas and improve my craft.
Learn as much as you can about marketing. It is very important part of business.


Finally, I would like to say ‘thank you’ to Nat who gave me and others this great opportunity to talk about our experience. I believe that we always can learn from each other and hand-made artists can form a real friendly community- which is not a small thing nowadays. I wish you all great success in your creative business. Happy crafting:)

Please visit me on:
http://facebook.com/glassimo
http://glassimo.etsy.com/
http://juditsview.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/glassimo

Stay-tuned for tomorrow's giveaway.

14 comments:

  1. I learned you should let anyone limit you from your dreams and from continuing to do your passion in life .

    Also I think some pastel colors with shimmer or iridescent mix would be nice with the colors . My fav. colors are copper , gold , multi mix of any color put into metallic sheen like pink would be metallic pink , turquoise , scarlet , just explore the colors .

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to see some pieces combining the fused glass with other materials. The piece in your etsy shop with the two layers of iridized blue glass on a curvy wire cord is an example that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your color combinations and the clean lines of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'd love to see more of the statement rings in glassimo's shop, especially with some of the aqua blues and green . . . okay, okay, pretty much any colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find your idea of fusion with other materials very innovative and forward thinking!

    maryleebythesea(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your art creations and I think that travelling could really inspire art spirit,liberalize horizons and range of interests!!!

    ksyshenka(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your art creations and its for sure that travelling could inspire your art spirit, liberalize your horizons and range of interests!

    ksyshenka(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your art creations and its for sure that travelling could inspire your art spirit, liberalize your horizons and range of interests!

    ksyshenka(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you want to use other media with the glass - that would be so cool and you could make such intersting pieces with the mixed media. Love you shop and the variety!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the colourful jewelry you do.
    I guess that as long as you stay true to yourself, success will eventualy follow too.
    Good luck with all ur current projects!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your color combinations and the clean lines of your work. I'd love to see more of the statement rings.

    Good luck with all your current projects.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked to hear that it's important to put imagination and creativity in front of profit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would like to thank everyone for their comments and feedbacks. I really appreciate you taking time to making suggestions.
    And a BIG THANK YOU FOR NAT!:) XO

    ReplyDelete
  14. You`re most Elcome, Judit! It`s a pleasure to feature you and your beautiful wares :-)

    ReplyDelete