Saturday, April 3, 2010

Saturday Artisan: handmadebyannepotter


This week Saturday Artisan is Anne of handmadebyannepotter, a talented multi-media and global artist, I called.

In her shop, she offers selections of bags/ purses, jewelries, accessories, home decors, etc. I love how she embraces different cultures and collaborates that passion into what she makes. You could clearly see that in her shop. More importantly, what even made her worth of being Saturday Artisan? Her good and kind heart: she gives 50% of all proceeds to missions.


Tell us a bit about yourself and what arts/ craft that you make?
I am a stay-at-home mom to five children. I have been sewing for as long as I can remember, but I work with a lot of different media. I knit, crochet, quilt, paint, bead, needlepoint, embroider, etc. It’s my goal to be able to make anything I dream up (and I dream up a lot of stuff!) so I am trying to be proficient in whatever looks wonderful.


What is your favourite item in your shop?
Probably my Happy Birthday, Thomas A. Edison! Necklace.


I like beautiful things, but I also like to laugh a lot. This piece is perfect: beautiful AND it has a great personality.

What is your best seller?
My NAUGHTY Lumps of Coal. They’re a funny stocking stuffer for all the grumpy people in our lives.

Anne, if I may add: this Provence Monogrammed Grain Sack Pillow seems to be the 'hot item' now since the last time we talked. I'm sure your lumps of coal will be selling like nuts when we're closer to Christmas again this year.


What inspires you?
Travel and cultural art traditions like Thai pagodas, Mexican Milagros, Coptic crosses, Chinese chops (square name stamps), Pacific totem poles, and African masks.

What is your favourite tool that you cannot live without?
My mom gave me a pair of artery clamps for Christmas one year. I thought she was nuts. I use them all the time because they clamp like pliers, lock in place and get in narrow spots. They’re great for beadwork, woodwork, and turning fabric tubes for sewing. Mom, you’re brilliant!

During this recession time, tell us one thing that you do to save money?
I love to use recycled and repurposed materials; this is just how I like to operate. But when I feel that my budget is tight, I deliberately try to work out of my stash and try to reinvent tired elements. This is a creative challenge, but it stretches me and pushes my creativity to the next level.

Any tutorial that you’d like to share, pretty please?
Well OK, because you asked so nicely. Here’s how I make my Goa Silk Necklace.


Take long lengths of silk or rayon seam binding and sew them together, end to end (I shoot for 160”-170” total). Then place one end under your sewing machine presser foot, and begin twisting until is forms a tight tube of fabric. Zigzag over the cord and continue to twist (same direction for the whole length) until you reach the end. Butt ends together and zigzag over joint. Global gorgeous.

Stay-tuned for tomorrow's giveaway that Anne will be sponsoring. In the meantime, feel free to leisurely browse her shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment